Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2018, Week 49: Dollar General Announces Significant Expansion Plan for 2019
Coresight Research tracks store closures, openings and bankruptcies for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK. Our Weekly Store Tracker focuses on department stores and specialty retail stores, including, but not limited to, those selling softlines, hardlines, consumer electronics, groceries and furniture.
Click here to view our full collection of Weekly US and UK Store Trackers.
Highlights from this week’s Store Tracker:
- Year-to-date (YTD) 2018, retailers have announced they will close 5,463 stores, while store openings stands at 3,060.
- Dollar General will open 975 stores in 2019.
- Shopko will close 39 stores.
- Abercrombie & Fitch will close 40 stores instead of the 60 previously announced.
- Christopher & Banks plans to shut 30-40 stores.
- Ikea will open a store in Manhattan.
- YTD in the UK, companies have announced they will close 1,401 stores, and that they will open 784 stores.
- Clas Ohlson will close all six of its UK stores.
- H&M will close its Cheap Monday banner.
- Crabtree & Evelyn has opened a new store in London.
- House of Fraser’s Manchester flagship will stay open