A Guide to Entering China for Foreign Brands and Retailers, Part 3: Breaking into the China Market — Optimizing Marketing and Promotional Strategies for Singles’ Day
In this, our third report in our series A Guide to Entering China for Foreign Brands and Retailers, we focus on how foreign brands can use Singles’ Day as a springboard to enter China, leveraging our proprietary data on brands’ sales performance on Singles’ Day 2018 on Tmall. Our findings focus on four categories: women’s wear, women’s skincare, snacks and diapers.
- Within women’s wear, top brands such as Uniqlo offered free delivery and used social media to build demand.
- For women’s skincare, top brands such as Pechoin leveraged online campaigns and customer reviews.
- In the snacks category, the Three Squirrels brand introduced 11 new products through its “Squirrel Made 2018” event and used live streaming to showcase selected products.
- In the diapers category, top brands such as Pampers collaborated with Tmall to give out free samples.
- Our data show that Singles’ Day is about more than just price promotions: Social media campaigns, product launches and special events helped build consumer excitement and drive sales on Singles’ Day.