2019 Retail Trends Midyear Update
In January, we identified what we thought would be the top trends to watch for 2019 in our 10 Retail Trends for 2019: Get Ready for Retail Reinvention. At midyear, we look at the five trends we’ve seen made the most impact so far – and identify two new trends we think will be significant in the coming months.
The five global retail trends we’ve seen make the most impact in the first half of the year are:
- Cities will see more spectacular retail from a new generation of flagship stores.
- “Fast Retail” will be marked by shorter leases, more shared spaces and more short-term stores.
- Technology will continue to strip friction from brick-and-mortar retail.
- More consumers will seek out environmentally and socially engaged brands.
- Consumers will look for more inclusive offerings, impacting the apparel and luxury markets.
Two trends we expect to see play out in the second half of 2019 and into 2020 are:
- Legacy retailers will continue to seek out partnerships.
- Marketplace giants’ shopping festivals will continue to add spectacle and scale.