10 Retail Trends for 2019: Get Ready for Retail Reinvention
We expect 2019 will not be the year of retail apocalypse or even decline. Instead, it will be a year of reinvention — for the retail sector as a whole and for physical stores in particular.
Here are our 10 trends for 2019:
- Cities will see more spectacular retail from a new generation of flagship stores.
- “Fast Retail” will be marked by shorter leases, more shared spaces and more short-term stores.
- Western retailers will borrow from “New Retail” with data-driven online-to-offline ventures.
- Technology will continue to strip friction from brick-and-mortar retail.
- Artificial Intelligence will become retailers’ go-to technology.
- Startup partnerships will fuel new product development, digital improvements and operational efficiencies.
- Supply chains will become more responsive, and switch from lines to loops.
- More consumers will seek out environmentally and socially engaged brands.
- Shoppers will increasingly expect “Smart Retail” interactions.
- Consumers will look for more inclusive offerings, impacting the apparel and luxury markets.
Get ready for better stores and better retailing. We expect 2019 to be a year of reinvention — and not just for the retail sector as a whole, but for physical stores in particular. As we outline over the following pages, we anticipate that the year will be marked by spectacular retail, fast retail and smart retail.
Login to view the full report, or register below for a free membership to access research.