Reviewing Year-to-Date US Store Closures and Openings
In this report, we review year-to-date announced store closures and openings in the US, by sector. Our data are as of July 31, 2019.
- Major retailers have announced 7,567 store closures so far this year. In 2018 overall, major retailers closed 5,524 stores.
- By sector, apparel specialist stores have led the casualty list, with 2,750 closures announced so far this year. Gymboree, Dressbarn, Charlotte Russe and Charming Charlie contributed a majority of these closures.
- Overall, Payless has closed the most stores so far in 2019.
- Major retailers have announced 3,064 store openings for 2019. In the full year 2018, major retailers opened 3,083 stores.
- By sector, general merchandise stores announced the greatest number of store openings. Dollar General, Dollar Tree and Family Dollar together account for a significant majority of these openings.