Male Makeup: Going Mainstream in Asia and Slowly Gaining Traction in the US
In this report, we present an analysis of the male makeup market with a focus on markets in Asia and the US.
- Male makeup is an emerging category as male consumers globally are increasingly showing interest in skincare and makeup products. Young consumers are challenging the definitions of masculinity and femininity as men are beginning to wear makeup – and not just for stage performances or on television.
- Asia Pacific, which includes Australasia, is one of the fastest-growing major regions for men’s makeup and grooming. The men’s grooming category is expected to grow at a 7.0% CAGR to 2022, and the region’s consumers are pioneers in men’s makeup – particularly in China, Japan and South Korea.
- On Tmall in China, male consumers are spending more on products specifically targeted at men, compared to unisex beauty products, presenting an opportunity for brands entering this market.
- Supply is not able to meet demand for male makeup products in China according to Jason Chen, General Manager of Tmall Beauty, creating an opportunity for brands. China’s male consumers want products geared towards them.
- Some 33% of US males like or use natural-looking makeup.