- CVS Health and Walgreens Boots Alliance are the two largest pharmacy companies in the US. They each posted over $100 billion in revenues in 2017, and both operate more than 9,000 stores worldwide.
- The growth of the retail pharmacy market in the US has slowed in recent years, and is potentially poised for disruption by new entrants such as Amazon.
- Walgreens Boots Alliance has strengthened its position in the retail pharmacy industry, expanding its presence abroad and further increasing its market share in the US.
- CVS Health has widened its range of pharmacy-related service offerings, increasing its presence in pharmacy benefits management, specialty pharmacy and long-term care pharmacy.
- Both companies are aware of the changing consumption landscape, and the potential for disruption in their industry. Each has established both a mobile and online platform for managing prescriptions and purchasing products, as well as pharmacy delivery services.
Other research you may be interested in: