Weekly US and UK Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2019, Week 16: Aldi to Open 15 New Supermarkets; In the UK, Primark Opens World’s Largest Fashion Store
Coresight Research tracks store closures, openings and bankruptcies for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK. Our Weekly Store Tracker focuses on department stores and specialty retail stores, including, but not limited to, those selling softlines, hardlines, consumer electronics, groceries and furniture.
Click here to view our full collection of Weekly US and UK Store Trackers.
Highlights from this week’s Store Tracker:
- In the US, year-to-date announced closures have already exceeded the total we recorded for the full year 2018. So far this year, US retailers have announced 5,994 store closures and 2,647 store openings. This compares to 5,864 closures and 3,239 openings for the full year 2018.
- Grocery retailer Aldi has announced that it plans to open 15 new stores in 2019 in southern California.
- Golf- and tennis-inspired apparel and accessories retailer PGA Tour Superstore will open six new stores in 2019.
- Year to date, UK retail announced store openings and closures are running almost neck and neck, with announced store closures at 322 and store openings at 352.
- Apparel retailer Primark has opened world’s largest fashion store in Birmingham.