Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2018 #8: Warby Parker to Open 36 Stores Across the US
Coresight Research tracks store openings and closures for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK.
- Year-to-date 2018, the number of US store closure announcements stands at 1,790 and the number of store openings is 1,546.
- Warby Parker will open around 36 stores, aiming to operate nearly 100 stores across the US by the end of the year.
- Winn-Dixie may prepare to file for bankruptcy and close 200 of its stores as early as March.
- Tops Friendly Markets may seek court protection as early as this month, which may lead to the closure of its 170 grocery stores.
- Gap CEO Jeff Kirwan is stepping down and Brent Hyder will oversee the brand while a search for a replacement is under way.
- Albertsons will acquire more than 2,500 Rite Aid stores.
- Year to date in the UK, there have been 76 store closure announcements and 491 store opening announcements.