Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2018, Week 16: Liquidators Awaiting Approval to Wind Down All Bon-Ton Stores
Coresight Research tracks store closures, openings and bankruptcies for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK. Our Weekly Store Tracker focuses on department stores and specialty retail stores, including, but not limited to, those selling softlines, hardlines, consumer electronics, groceries and furniture.
Click here to view our full collection of Weekly US and UK Store Trackers.
Highlights from this week’s Store Tracker:
- Year-to-date 2018, the number of US store closure announcements stands at 3,335 and the number of store openings is 1,699.
- With no other bidders in sight, the liquidators are awaiting final approval to begin winding down all Bon-Ton stores.
- CVS has named Kevin Hourican as President of CVS Pharmacy.
- In the UK, Carpetright will close at least 92 stores and is seeking rent reductions under a company voluntary arrangement (CVA) that must be approved by its creditors.
- Toys“R”Us plans to close its remaining UK stores by the end of April.
- Mothercare announced plans to close nearly a third of its 143 UK stores and is considering entering a CVA.
- Year to date in the UK, there have been 313 store closure announcements and 491 store opening announcements.