Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2018, Week 1: A Review of 2017’s Record US Closures; Sears to Close Over 100 More Stores; Macy’s to Close 11 Stores
Coresight Research tracks store closures, openings and bankruptcies for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK. Our Weekly Store Tracker focuses on department stores and specialty retail stores, including, but not limited to, those selling softlines, hardlines, consumer electronics, groceries and furniture.
Click here to view our full collection of Weekly US and UK Store Trackers.
Highlights from this week’s Store Tracker:
- In 2017, major US retailers closed some 6,955 stores, the highest recorded rate of closures—even exceeding the annual store closure count during the global economic downturn.
- Year-to-date 2018, the number of US store closure announcements stands at 1,446.
- Mattress Firm to close 200 stores.
- Sears to shutter over 100 more stores.
- Macy’s to close 11 stores in early 2018.
- Camping World to Acquire Erehwon Mountain Outfitter and close 13 stores.
- Rent-A-Center CEO resigns.
- Year to date in the UK, there have been 26 store closure announcements and 270 store opening announcements.
- The Co-op to open 100 new stores.