Target: A Timeline of Key Events
As part of our Retailers’ Timelines series, we examine key events in Target’s history.
- From 2010 to 2019, Target focused on store expansion, brand collaboration and new service offerings.
- In June 2019, Target announced two days of deals to rival Amazon’s Prime Day.
- In June 2019, Target began offering same-day delivery to all customers through its own website. In 2018, Target and Shipt, a leading online same-day delivery platform, launched same-day delivery for Shipt members. In December 2017 Target acquired Shipt for $550 million in cash.
- Target started to test urban-geared formats back in 2012 and opened a small-format store near the University of Minnesota in 2014. In September 2014, Target announced plans to open smaller-format stores in San Francisco’s financial district and in Berkeley, California. Later, Target opened more small-format stores across the country.
- By May 2019, Target had 39 private labels.
- Target is constantly looking for collaborations with brands, celebrities and retailers, such as Luella Bartley, Liberty of London, Jason Wu and Marvels.