Reviewing 2018 U.S. and U.K. Store Closures
In this report, we review 2018 store closures in the U.S. and the U.K., by sector.
- In the U.S., major retailers closed 5,524 stores and opened 3,083 stores during 2018.
- By sector, apparel specialist stores led the pack with 766 closures; Payless ShoeSource contributed 408 of these closures.
- Toys “R” Us was the retailer that closed the most stores in the U.S. in 2018.
- In the U.K., major retailers closed 1,432 stores and opened 755 in 2018.
- General merchandise retailers closed the most stores in the U.K., with Poundworld closing more stores than any other.