Kroger: A Timeline of Key Events – November 2018
This is the third report in our Retailers’ Timelines series. In this report, we examine a timeline of key events in Kroger’s recent history that have shaped it into the retailer it is today.
- In 2018, Kroger has accelerated its digital and e-commerce efforts to better compete with online giants Amazon and Walmart.
- Additionally, Kroger has made several strategic alliances and acquisitions, such as its May 2018 partnership with Ocado to build automated warehouses.
- In October 2018, Kroger partnered with Walgreens to test online order pickup at 13 Walgreens stores.
- Kroger partnered with Alibaba in August 2018 to sell Simple Truth products on Alibaba’s Tmall Global e-commerce platform.
- In December 2015, Kroger acquired Roundy’s Supermarkets for $800 million, adding the Pick ’n Save, Metro Market and Mariano’s banners to its family of stores.
- In August 2014, Kroger bought online health retailer Vitacost for $280 million.
This timeline has been updated. Click here to view the updated timeline.