Big Billion Days 2019: Highlights So Far from India’s E-Commerce Festival
Flipkart’s annual Big Billion Days (BBD) sales event and Amazon’s Great Indian Festival (GIF) kicked off on September 29, and are running for six days through October 4. Here are the highlights so far:
- Flipkart reported record sales on day 1 of BBD by registering “2X sales growth” of BBD 2018’s opening day.
- Customers looking for financing options such as Flipkart Pay Later and no-cost equal monthly installments (EMIs) spent 2.5 times more than other customers.
- Major categories including women’s ethnic wear, beauty, kids wear, sports, fast-moving consumer goods (FMCGs), baby care, private labels and furniture surpassed Day 1 BBD 2018 total sales.
- Flipkart said the number of buyers from tier two and three cities have doubled compared to the same period in 2018.
- Amazon said that its GIF sale surpassed expectations, with INR 7.5 billion ($105 million) worth of premium smartphones sold in first 36 hours of the sale.