Amazon Beauty: Who Is Selling What? An Exclusive Analysis of Over 200,000 Beauty and Personal Care Listings on Amazon.com
We analyze Amazon’s beauty and personal care offering, based on aggregated data on over 200,000 products listed on Amazon.com’s US beauty website, collated with competitive intelligence provider DataWeave. We also include summary data from our recent survey of US beauty and personal care shoppers.
- Our research identified 212,818 beauty and personal care products across 2,499 brands spanning eight major beauty categories on Amazon.com.
- Makeup is the largest category, accounting for 33% of beauty products, followed by skincare at 26%, haircare at 14%, personal care at 13%, fragrance at 9% and oral care at 2%. Men’s grooming and luxury beauty each account for 1% of listings.
- Maybelline New York is the most-listed brand on Amazon.com with 4,370 product listings.
- While Amazon offers a large selection in beauty, 4% of beauty brands (103) account for fully 52.1% of all beauty product listings. Some 12.6% of Amazon beauty brands (316) list only one product each. This suggests that there are opportunities for some beauty brands to scale up.
- Our consumer survey found Amazon is America’s second-most-shopped retailer for beauty, grooming, and personal care products, behind Walmart: Some 42.5% of shoppers said they bought on Amazon in the past 12 months.