Ahold Delhaize: A Timeline of Key Events
This is the fourth report in our Retailers’ Timelines series. In this report, we chronicle key events in Ahold Delhaize’s recent history.
- The period between 2016 and 2018 saw the merger of retail giants Ahold and Delhaize, with the companies devising strategies to realize synergies.
- Since the announcement of the merger, Ahold Delhaize has made significant divestments in order to comply with competition regulations imposed by the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Belgian Competition Authority (BCA).
- Ahold Delhaize’s key strategies for 2018 include improving and expanding its store network, upgrading its digital capabilities and enhancing its omnichannel offering.
- The company has made significant investments in remodeling stores under the Food Lion banner ($168 million) and the Giant Food banner ($22 million) in 2018.
- Frans Muller took over as CEO of Ahold Delhaize on July 1, 2018, after the position was vacated by Dick Boer.