Weekly US and UK Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2019, Week 14: Five Below to Open 145–150 Stores; In the UK, Office Outlet Marks 16 Stores for Closure
Coresight Research tracks store closures, openings and bankruptcies for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK. Our Weekly Store Tracker focuses on department stores and specialty retail stores, including, but not limited to, those selling softlines, hardlines, consumer electronics, groceries and furniture.
Click here to view our full collection of Weekly US and UK Store Trackers.
Highlights from this week’s Store Tracker:
- In the US, year-to-date announced closures are approaching the total we recorded for the full year 2018. So far this year, US retailers have announced 5,846 store closures and 2,622 store openings. This compares to 5,854 closures and 3,239 openings for the full year 2018.
- Five Below will open 145–150 stores in its fiscal 2019.
- Signet Jewelers plans to close approximately 150 stores in 2019 while opening 20–25 stores.
- Charlotte Russe has sold its brands to YM and Mamiye Brothers while its liquidation continues.
- Year to date, UK retail announced store openings and closures are running almost neck and neck, with announced store closures at 326 and store openings at 347.
- Stationery chain Office Outlet has targeted 16 store closures by April 10, putting 161 jobs at risk.