Weekly US and UK Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2019, Week 12: Shopko to Liquidate; In the UK, Office Outlet Enters Administration
Coresight Research tracks store openings and closures for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK, as well as major US store bankruptcies.
- Year to date, US retailers have announced 5,399 store closures and 2,396 store openings. This compares to 5,726 closures and 3,243 openings for all of 2018.
- The Shops & Restaurants at Hudson Yards (in Manhattan) opened March 15 with 720,000 leasable square feet anchored by a three-floor Neiman Marcus.
- Ikea will open its first US city-center small-format store in Manhattan in April.
- Shoes of Prey has ceased operations worldwide.
- Year to date, UK retailers have announced 310 store closures and 327 store openings.
- Stationery chain Office Outlet is now in administration; its 90 stores will continue to operate.