Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2019, Week 3: Gymboree to Close 800 Stores, Chico’s Set to Close 250 Stores Over Three Years
Coresight Research tracks store closures, openings and bankruptcies for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK. Our Weekly Store Tracker focuses on department stores and specialty retail stores, including, but not limited to, those selling softlines, hardlines, consumer electronics, groceries and furniture.
Click here to view our full collection of Weekly US and UK Store Trackers.
Highlights from this week’s Store Tracker:
- Year to date in 2019, U.S. retailers have announced 1,725 store closures and 1,379 store openings.
- Children’s apparel retailer Gymboree filed for Chapter 11 protection, plans to close 800 stores.
- Chico’s will close 250 stores over a three-year period.
- Shopko has filed for bankruptcy and will close 38 additional stores.
- Indochino plans to open 20 stores in North America.
- Macy’s will shutter eight stores.
- J. Crew will shut at least five stores.
- Kohl’s will close four stores and open four small format stores.
- Year to date in 2019, U.K. retailers have announced 220 store closures and 253 store openings.
- Marks & Spencer has given details on its next round of store closures.
- Debenhams may close 40 additional stores, on top of the 50 potential closures announced in October.