Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2019, #1: Sears Confirms Closure of Additional 80 Stores
Coresight Research tracks store openings and closures for a selected group of retailers in the US and the UK, as well as major US store bankruptcies.
In this first Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker of the year, we provide total figures for openings and closures in 2018 and the first figures for announced openings and closures falling in 2019.
- In the US, we recorded a total of 5,524 closures and 3,083 openings by major retailers over the course of 2018.
- Year to date in 2019, US retailers have announced 1,167 store closures and 1,170 store openings.
- Sears will close 80 stores in addition to the previously announced 40 stores.
- Gap will close its Fifth Avenue Store.
- In the UK, major retailers announced 1,432 store closures and 755 store openings in 2018.
- Year to date in 2019, UK retailers have announced 225 store closures and 252 store openings.
- Greenwoods has closed all 40 stores.
- The Co-op will open 100 new stores in 2019.
In the US, we recorded a total of 5,524 closures and 3,083 openings by major retailers over the course of 2018.
Login to view the full report, or register below for a free membership to access research.