Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2019, Week 1: Sears Confirms Closure of Additional 80 Stores
Coresight Research tracks store closures, openings and bankruptcies for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK. Our Weekly Store Tracker focuses on department stores and specialty retail stores, including, but not limited to, those selling softlines, hardlines, consumer electronics, groceries and furniture.
Click here to view our full collection of Weekly US and UK Store Trackers.
Highlights from this week’s Store Tracker:
- In the US, we recorded a total of 5,524 closures and 3,083 openings by major retailers over the course of 2018.
- Year to date in 2019, US retailers have announced 1,167 store closures and 1,170 store openings.
- Sears will close 80 stores in addition to the previously announced 40 stores.
- Gap will close its Fifth Avenue Store.
- In the UK, major retailers announced 1,432 store closures and 755 store openings in 2018.
- Year to date in 2019, UK retailers have announced 225 store closures and 252 store openings.
- Greenwoods has closed all 40 stores.
- The Co-op will open 100 new stores in 2019.