Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2018, Week 6: Bon-Ton Files for Bankruptcy
Coresight Research tracks store closures, openings and bankruptcies for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK. Our Weekly Store Tracker focuses on department stores and specialty retail stores, including, but not limited to, those selling softlines, hardlines, consumer electronics, groceries and furniture.
Click here to view our full collection of Weekly US and UK Store Trackers.
Highlights from this week’s Store Tracker:
- Year-to-date 2018, the number of US store closure announcements stands at 1,776 and the number of store openings is 1,510.
- Bon-Ton files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy to explore potential strategic alternatives, with plans to close 47 stores in 2018.
- Nordstrom plans to close a full-line store in Salem, Oregon.
- Stein Mart assembled a team to explore opportunities to improve operating performance and identify potential strategic alternatives.
- Big Lots names Stephen M. Haffer as Chief Customer Officer.
- Lululemon CEO Laurent Potdevin has resigned over misconduct. The company has begun a search for a new CEO.
- Williams-Sonoma appointed Yasir Anwar as CTO, reporting to President and CEO Laura Alber.
- Hudson’s Bay names CVS Health’s Helena Foulkes as new CEO.
- Christopher & Banks names former Dick’s Sporting Goods executive Keri Jones as CEO.
- Year to date in the UK, there have been 76 store closure announcements and 491 store opening announcements.