Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2018, Week 52: Sears May Close an Additional 50-80 Stores; Gymboree to File for Second Bankruptcy Loan in Less Than Two Years
Coresight Research tracks store closures, openings and bankruptcies for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK. Our Weekly Store Tracker focuses on department stores and specialty retail stores, including, but not limited to, those selling softlines, hardlines, consumer electronics, groceries and furniture.
Click here to view our full collection of Weekly US and UK Store Trackers.
Highlights from this week’s Store Tracker:
- Year to date in 2018, US retailers have announced 5,437 store closures and 2,963 store openings.
- Sears Holdings my close 50 to 80 stores in addition to the 182 previously announced.
- Gymboree plans to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for the second time in less than two years, to keep stores open as it looks for a buyer.
- Year to date in the UK, companies have announced 1,395 store closures and 785 store openings.
- New Look has enlisted advisers to explore opportunities to cut its £1.3 billion ($1.6 billion) debt.