Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2018, Week 4: Toys“R”Us to Close 182 Stores; JCPenney to Close Four Stores
Coresight Research tracks store closures, openings and bankruptcies for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK. Our Weekly Store Tracker focuses on department stores and specialty retail stores, including, but not limited to, those selling softlines, hardlines, consumer electronics, groceries and furniture.
Click here to view our full collection of Weekly US and UK Store Trackers.
Highlights from this week’s Store Tracker:
- Year-to-date 2018, the number of US store closure announcements stands at 1,768 and the number of store openings is 1,510.
- Toys“R”Us plans to close 182 stores.
- JCPenney has said it will close four stores.
- Lidl announces it will open 20 stores in the US this year.
- Abercrombie & Fitch’s Executive Chairman steps down.
- Lowe’s announces three board appointments.
- Casper hires two new executives.
- Year to date in the UK, there have been 48 store closure announcements and 455 store opening announcements.