Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2018, Week 33: Casper Sleep to Open 200 Stores in the Next Three Years
Coresight Research tracks store closures, openings and bankruptcies for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK. Our Weekly Store Tracker focuses on department stores and specialty retail stores, including, but not limited to, those selling softlines, hardlines, consumer electronics, groceries and furniture.
Click here to view our full collection of Weekly US and UK Store Trackers.
Highlights from this week’s Store Tracker:
Year-to-date 2018, the number of US store closure announcements stands at 4,379 and the number of store openings is 2,367.
US Store Openings:
- Casper Sleep is opening 200 stores in the next three years.
- BCBG Max Azria opened a new store in Soho, New York City.
- JCPenney plans to open 500 baby shops starting August 30.
US Bankruptcies and Mergers:
- Samuels Jewelers has filed for bankruptcy.
- Albertsons and Rite Aid have cancelled a $24 billion merger plan.
Year to date in the UK, there have been 1,196 store closure announcements and 657 store opening announcements.
UK Store Closures:
- Homebase plans to close 42 stores.
- Seven Marks & Spencer clothing stores will close this Saturday.
UK Store Openings:
- B&M plans to open at least 45 net new stores this financial year.
- Acuitis will open 40 practices in two years.
- Screwfix opened 10 stores in the first quarter of 2018.