Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2018, Week 22: Claire’s to Close 40 More Stores, Sears Announces Further Closures
Coresight Research tracks store closures, openings and bankruptcies for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK. Our Weekly Store Tracker focuses on department stores and specialty retail stores, including, but not limited to, those selling softlines, hardlines, consumer electronics, groceries and furniture.
Click here to view our full collection of Weekly US and UK Store Trackers.
Highlights from this week’s Store Tracker:
- Year-to-date 2018, the number of US store closure announcements stands at 4,095 and the number of store openings is 1,884.
- Claire’s says it will close an additional 40 stores while in bankruptcy.
- Five Below announced it will open 125 new stores this year.
- Sears announced a further 63 closures. Its CEO has reportedly received inquiries about sales of the retailer’s assets.
- Year to date in the UK, there have been 631 store closure announcements and 616 store opening announcements.
- Dixon Carphone has announced plans to close 92 stores amid a decline in contract sales.
- Poundworld plans to close 117 stores by August.
- B&M plans to open a further 45 new stores during the year.
- Hema is looking to have 75 locations in the UK.