Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2018, Week 21: Sears to Close 40 More Stores
Coresight Research tracks store closures, openings and bankruptcies for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK. Our Weekly Store Tracker focuses on department stores and specialty retail stores, including, but not limited to, those selling softlines, hardlines, consumer electronics, groceries and furniture.
Click here to view our full collection of Weekly US and UK Store Trackers.
Highlights from this week’s Store Tracker:
- Year-to-date 2018, the number of US store closure announcements stands at 3,992 and the number of store openings is 1,789.
- Sears has announced it will shutter another 40 Sears and Kmart stores this summer.
- Toys“R”Us bidder Isaac Larian has withdrawn his offer.
- Year to date in the UK, there have been 420 store closure announcements and 524 store opening announcements.
- Marks& Spencer (M&S) announced plans to close a further 14 stores by 2019, or over 100 by 2022.