Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2018, Week 18: GNC to Close 200 Stores, Asda to Merge with Sainsbury’s
Coresight Research tracks store closures, openings and bankruptcies for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK. Our Weekly Store Tracker focuses on department stores and specialty retail stores, including, but not limited to, those selling softlines, hardlines, consumer electronics, groceries and furniture.
Click here to view our full collection of Weekly US and UK Store Trackers.
Highlights from this week’s Store Tracker:
- Year-to-date 2018, the number of US store closure announcements stands at 3,889 and the number of store openings is 1,759.
- GNC plans to close around 200 stores this year.
- Asda, the UK arm of Walmart,announced a merger deal with Sainsbury’s worth $10 billion.
- Year to date in the UK, there have been 447 store closure announcements and 516 store opening announcements.
- In the UK, Poundworld could close up to 100 stores and is considering a CVA.
- House plans to open 75 stores in the UK in three years.
- House of Fraser is looking to close stores as part of turnaround plans to create a leaner business.