Weekly Store Openings and Closures Tracker 2018, Week 12: Toys“R”Us, Southeastern Grocers and Claire’s File for Bankruptcy
Coresight Research tracks store closures, openings and bankruptcies for a select group of retailers in the US and the UK. Our Weekly Store Tracker focuses on department stores and specialty retail stores, including, but not limited to, those selling softlines, hardlines, consumer electronics, groceries and furniture.
Click here to view our full collection of Weekly US and UK Store Trackers.
Highlights from this week’s Store Tracker:
- Year-to-date 2018, the number of US store closure announcements stands at 3,164 and the number of store openings is 1,699.
- Toys“R”Us files for Bankruptcy, closing 740 stores in the US.
- Southeastern Grocers plans to file for bankruptcy, closing 94 stores.
- Claire’s files for bankruptcy, closing 92 stores in the US.
- Signet Jewelers plans to close 200 stores this year.
- The Walking Company files for bankruptcy for the second time in 10 years.
- Year to date in the UK, there have been 221 store closure announcements and 491 store opening announcements.
- Dunnes Stores has pulled out of Scotland, closing all five shops.