Countdown to Groceryshop 2019: Innovator Spotlight Profiles — Meisterdish
- The Coresight Research team will be attending and participating in the Groceryshop 2019 conference, which runs September 15-18 in Las Vegas. The conference is expected to bring together over 3,000 attendees and more than 200 speakers.
- We’ll be talking about the transformation of the retail industry, shifts in consumer behavior and innovations that are helping retailers keep up with fast-changing consumer expectations.
- On September 15, Coresight Research CEO and Founder Deborah Weinswig will emcee the Emerging Technology Spotlight session in which 20 innovative, early-stage technology companies (pre-Series A) will present solutions that solve major retail problems. The companies include: Adrich, Datasembly, ShopperMotion, Simporter, Oriient, Pick ‘n’ Watch, SuperUp, Tastry, Tiliter Technology, BrandChat, CoupDog, RetailAware, Shopperations, AGTools, Babylon, Gather AI, Leaf Logistics, Macondo Ventures, MeisterDish and Simplista.
In this report we profile Meisterdish, which offers a software-as-a-service (SaaS) solution that enables grocers to build and market on-demand meal kits for in-store pick up.
This report is part of our 2019 Countdown to Groceryshop: Innovator Profiles series. To view the other reports in this series, click here.
The Coresight Research team will be attending and participating in the Groceryshop 2019 conference, which runs September 15-18 in Las Vegas.
The conference is expected to bring together over 3,000 attendees and more than 200 speakers. Discussion topics will include the transformation of the retail industry, including convenience stores, supermarkets and e-commerce, and changes in the production and distribution of CPGs across multiple retail verticals.
The event also covers the rapid shifts in how consumers discover, shop and buy — from the use of new technologies and business models to the latest shopper trends.
Emerging Technology Spotlight Session
This is the second year the Coresight Research team will support Groceryshop’s early-stage technology startup event: On September 15, Coresight Research CEO and Founder Deborah Weinswig will emcee the Emerging Technology Spotlight, which features 20 innovative technology companies presenting their solutions to solve major retail problems.
Groceryshop selected the participating startups based on their solutions, looking for companies that solve some of the most pressing challenges in grocery, e-commerce, food and CPG. All participating startups offer business-to-business (B2B) solutions. Over 130 companies applied to present at the event: From that group, we selected the 20 using a rigorous vetting process.
These are some of the selection criteria:
- Early-stage, defined as pre-series A funding
- Relevant to the grocery and/or CPG industries
- B2B solutions (not consumer-facing)
- Scalable (good growth prospects)
- Highly innovative (deep differentiation)
- Important (solving a major industry problem)
The companies span several countries, although most are based in the US:
- US: 14
- Canada: 2
- Israel: 2
- Australia: 1
- Spain: 1
We categorized the 20 companies into four buckets of retail disruption:
Data and Insights: Digital technology is creating new metrics and capabilities to glean insights and understand the best way to meet and exceed customer expectations.
Improved Shopping Experiences: Shoppers demand intuitive and more seamless grocery experiences, both online and in-store. Grocery retailers face challenges in keeping their assortment up to date and in sync with fast-changing consumer demand.
Next-Generation Marketing: With so many different touchpoints and channels to reach consumers, engagement has become more complex than ever. There are also rapid shifts emerging in how consumers discover, shop and buy. New marketing technologies help grocery retailers and CPGs engage and acquire customers.
Operations and Supply Chain: Over the next few years, new omnichannel grocery offerings will likely go mainstream, giving consumers new experiences as well as more convenient delivery and pickup options. Simultaneously, technologies such as robotics, AI and IoT are changing how grocery items move from producer to store to consumer.
Meisterdish at a Glance
Founded in 2017, Meisterdish is an SaaS company that enables groceries to create new in-store experiences by offering in-store made-to-order meal kits. According to the company, it is “digitalizing the deli counter” by providing customer experiences such as online ordering and scheduling while using grocers existing deli counters. The solution provides the following:
Customer facing tools:
- Store finder and digital menus.
- Automatic order scheduling.
- Online ordering and payment.
Meal kit counter tools:
- Visual work instructions.
- Digital performance monitoring.
- Customer and order management.
- Inventory management and quality control.
What Problem Does Meisterdish Solve?
Grocery retailers want to provide more value-added services to consumers. At the same time, sales of meal kits in grocery stores are increasing, as consumers opt for convenience but with better quality than a premade meal. Meisterdish helps grocers offer customers on-demand meal kits and delivery service using a standardized approach.
New York City.
Cofounder and CEO Hannah de Boer has over 12 years’ experience in lifestyle marketing. Prior to setting up Meisterdish, she was a senior account associate at Firmenich.
Cofounder and Executive Chef Johannes Hennche spent years working in Michelin-starred kitchens.
Coresight Research estimates the US meal kits market was worth around $2.9 billion in 2018, up from around $2.5 billion in 2017.
Meisterdish is actively looking for partnerships with grocery retailers. It currently provides over 16 dishes each day and offers more than 200 dishes on a rotating menu.