Walmart: A Timeline of Key Events
As part of our Retailers’ Timelinesseries, we examine a timeline of key events in Walmart’s recent history.
- From 2016 to 2019, we saw Walmart focus on managing its store fleet efficiently, strengthening its e-commerce business and expanding its omnichannel capabilities.
- To bolster its global online proposition and compete with Amazon, Walmart also made a series of strategic acquisitions.
- In April 2019, Walmart launched Intelligent Retail Lab, an AI-powered “store of the future,” in Levittown, New York.
- In May 2018, Walmart acquired a majority stake in Indian e-commerce marketplace Flipkart.
- In 2017, the retailer acquired Bonobos, a US-based e-commerce company focused on men’s apparel, and Moosejaw, an outdoor apparel retailer.
- In 2016, Walmart acquired online women’s clothing and accessories retailer ModCloth and e-commerce platform Jet.com.