Sector Overview: Retail REITs — An Industry in Flux
Each of our Sector Overview reports provides an essential briefing on a sector or market. Themes in U.S. retail REITs include:
- Vacancy rates are declining and rent asking rates are increasing.
- All malls are not created equal — just 20% of U.S. “A” malls generate 72% of all mall sales.
- Changes in U.S. store traffic and other metrics remain negative.
- Store openings and closures are affecting the retail mix.
- Retail REITs are welcoming more non-traditional occupants, particularly food.